What is rotavirus
Rotavirus or rotavirus a (Rotavirus): is a virus that infects the gut causing diarrhea and vomiting. When a virus infects what is the intestine and prevent diarrhea and vomiting, This is known asinfluenza intestinal.
Think of the most important causes of influenza intestinal have children, have been injured adults also, but is more common in children.
How the child is infected with a virus rotavirus
Your child gets infected with a virus, rotavirus if:
- To the child a person affected by a virus, rotavirus or surface that have the virus did not wash his hands.
- Eating food or drink containing the virus.
If you don’t wash people infected with a virus, rotavirus their hands, they carry the infection to others by way of food, drink and surfaces that touch them.
The symptoms of rotavirus
Start the symptoms of the infection appear two days after exposure to the virus symptoms include the following:
- The loss of appetite.
- Diarrhea and the diarrhea is watery and contains blood.
- A slight rise in temperature.
- Abdominal pain (colic).
The suffering of the child from diarrhea and vomiting, lead to the loss of his body a lot of fluids. Which may lead to injury, dehydration, and symptoms of dehydration:
- Decrease in the number and amount of urination in the child, becomes the color of your urine dark.
- Baby crying without tears.
- Dryness of the mouth and lips.
- The child’s eyes become sunken.
- Poor concentration, sleepiness and acute exacerbations.
I have a newborn, it becomes fontanelle open wound -andthe fontanelle is the soft spot in baby’s head, a gap between the bones of the head. When a child dehydrated and become area of the fontanelle is hollow inside.
When should I take my baby to the doctor
You should call the doctor or nurse in the following situations:
- The presence of symptoms of dehydration in the child.
- The persistence of diarrhea and vomiting for several days.
- The presence of blood in the vomit the child, bloody diarrhea, or abdominal pain severe.
- The inability of the child to drink anything for a few hours.
- If you don’t follow the child in the last 6 one hour(for older children), or if no wet diaper in the last 4-6 hours (for infants and newborn).
- If the child urinates more than usual.
Clinical examination of a patient infected with Rotavirus is common and may not find a doctor any changes in the child only the symptoms of dehydration.
The doctor may request some tests, including:
- A laboratory test on stool samples from the child.
- A blood test and urine to verify the presence of dehydration in the child.
After the history, the clinical examination and the laboratory tests to be a doctor or nurse is able to ascertain the cause of the child’s illness if the cause is infection of the virus rotavirus.
Most children infected with rotavirus do not need to take any treatment, so that symptoms alone. But it is important to make sure that the child gets sufficient amount of fluid so don’t get dehydrated. You’ll make sure that your child takes his need of the fluid when it becomes the color of your urine pale yellow or clear. Or when your child wets the diaper with the usual.
To protect the child from dehydration, you can:
- Give your child a solution of oral rehydration (ORS). Available mobile can be purchased from the grocery store and pharmacy. If your child suffer from vomiting, try giving the child a few small spoonfuls (teaspoon) of solution every few minutes. In general, the solution of oral rehydration is better than the juice in the compensation fluid, because the juice may aggravate diarrhea in some cases. But you can also try giving your baby apple juice after mixing it in a quantity equal to water (1:1).
- Continue to breastfeed your child, if the child is a baby.
If your child was injured with a sharp and suffered from a severe drought, it needs to be treated in the hospital. In the hospital, the doctor may give your child intravenous fluids, through an intravenous catheter in one of the veins of the child.
You can prevention of rotavirus infection
Yes, doctors recommend that all children are vaccinated (the vaccine) to prevent infection virus, rotavirus. Can prevent the development of the occurrence of some infection is serious and deadly. It offers two basic types of vaccination. Building on the type who takes your baby it needs to eat two doses or three doses of the vaccination.
If your child does get infected with virus, rotavirus, there are some actions that reduce the spread of infection to others:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after changing your baby’s diaper.
- Not to change the baby’s diaper in a place close to a place to prepare food.
- Put a baby diaper in the bag and sealed before disposal.
- Clean the area of the diaper change with alcohol or with water and the material of the region.
- Miguel G O, David O Matson (2018) Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of rotavirus infection, Available at: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-manifestations-and-diagnosis-of-rotavirus-infection?search=rotavirus&source=search_result&selectedTitle=1~89&usage_type=default&display_rank=1 (Accessed: 28 Oct. 2019).
- David D Nguyen (2018) Rotavirus, Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/803885-overview (Accessed: 28 Oct. 2019).