Urine culture analysis is one of the most important tests that doctors resort to to discover the type of bacteria that cause urinary tract infection so that it is treated in an appropriate manner.
A sample of urine is collected and goes to the laboratory for analysis, to find out the type of bacteria and determine the appropriate antibiotic for treatment, so what are the reasons that lead the doctor to request this accurate analysis and what is its importance? You will find all this and more with us through the following lines.
Read in this article
Reasons for a urine culture
The aim of performing a urine culture analysis is the doctor's desire to determine the type of bacteria that causes the urinary tract infection and to ensure the presence or absence of infections in the urinary system, and there are a group of symptoms that prompt the doctor to suspect a problem in the urinary system that needs examination and treatment, the most important of these symptoms:
- Urgent urge to urinate.
- Feeling pain while urinating.
- Feeling of burning during urination.
- The appearance of an unpleasant odor in the urine.
- Cloudy urine.
- Complaint of lower back pain.
- Feeling of heaviness pain in the lower abdomen.
- Blood in the urine.
- Chills and a high temperature.
- Vomiting and nausea.
- Cut the urine. 1 Web of Medicine
Urine culture method
Read also: Causes of change in urine color .. Does it indicate a serious disease?
A farm analysis needs a set of steps that must be followed carefully so that the result and accuracy of the analysis are not affected, and the steps are:
- Wash your hands well.
- Sterilize the urine area with an antiseptic soap.
- Get clean and sterile packaging.
- Not collecting the initial drops of urine and leaving them in the toilet.
- Collect urine sample in the package.
- Use a catheter or large syringe to draw urine out if it is retained.
- The sample is left at the laboratory for culture and waiting for the specified period of time to obtain the result, which needs at least five days.
- The doctor determines the appropriate antibiotic for the type of bacteria that the culture results indicate.
Urine culture for children
When suspecting the presence of urinary tract infections in children, the doctor needs to conduct a urine culture to search for the causes of infection, especially in girls because their urinary system is more susceptible to infection by bacteria and germs, and among the most important causes of urine culture in children:
- Cases of infection of the urethra with bacterial infection.
- Cases of inflammation of the kidneys , bladder and urinary tract.
- A case of stones in the kidneys, ureters and bladder.
- Cases of weakened immunity, repeated occurrence of infection.
- Determine the strain of bacteria causing the infection and prescribe the appropriate antibiotic for it.
Obtaining a urine sample for children is one of the major medical challenges, as the little one cannot control urination, and the sample can be collected in the following ways:
Read also: Random sugar analysis, how it works
- In the case of older children, the mother should wash her hands well with soap and water, wash the child's urinary tract, then collect the urine sample in a sterile and sealed container and take it to the laboratory for analysis.
- In the case of younger children who do not have the ability to control urine, a urinary catheter can be used to collect urine, or a sterile container can be installed on the urethra in which the sample collects.
- The doctor withdraws the urine sample with a large injection directly from the bladder.
- It is best to collect a urine sample in the early morning, as soon as the child wakes up. 2 subject
Important advice before having a urine culture for children
Doctors provide the mother with important tips that must be followed before performing a urine culture test for young children, the most important of these tips:
- The doctor must know all the medicines that the child is taking, especially iron supplements, because they affect the test result.
- You must stop taking antibiotics before performing the test and inform the doctor about it.
- Hands should be washed thoroughly with soap and water before obtaining the sample.
- The sample must be collected in a sterile, sealed package.
- The urine exit area should be thoroughly sterilized with a sterile liquid.
- The sample must be sent to the laboratory immediately upon its collection within a period of no more than two hours.
- In the case of a urinary catheter, it must be inserted gently with a lubricant gel so that no injury to the small urethra is caused.
Urine culture for pregnant women
Read also: Analysis of cumulative sugar .. Know the normal range for it
The pregnant woman needs careful follow-up since the first month of pregnancy, and a group of analyzes and checks are performed to check on her health, and one of the most important analyzes that must be done is the urine analysis through which the sugar, albumin and salts are monitored, but infections may occur for the pregnant woman in the urethra, which requires conducting Urine culture, and among the reasons for this matter:
- Urinary tract infections.
- A pregnant woman complained of a severe burning sensation in the urine and pain when urinating.
- To check for infection that could cause problems for the fetus.
- To treat the pregnant woman from any infections that could reach the vagina and pose a risk to the pregnancy and its continuation.
- Protect the pregnant woman and the fetus from urinary tract infections during the last trimester of pregnancy and before childbirth. 3 Super Mama
Urine culture results
The results from a urine culture include the following indicators and facts:
- The sample is sent to the laboratory and is cultured in a special environment and a certain temperature.
- The urine sample is left in these groomed conditions for several days.
- Bacteria grow under these conditions.
- The sample is examined under a microscope and the microorganisms that have grown in it are viewed.
- If the test shows the growth of a small number of bacteria, the result is negative.
- If the test shows the growth of many types of bacteria, the result is positive.
- The doctor determines the type of bacteria in the sample that caused the infection after viewing it under a microscope.
- An additional examination may be performed to determine the type of bacteria.
- The doctor determines the type of antibiotic and other drugs suitable for the bacteria, according to the results of the tests.
Treatment of urethral infections
If the urine culture results confirmed the presence of infections in the urethra, treatment must begin immediately. Among the most important alternatives available for treatment are:
- Use a warm water compress or hot bag to relieve the pain.
- Drink a large amount of water to rid the body of germs, salts and bacteria.
- Stay away from caffeinated beverages and alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid eating spicy and spicy foods that irritate the urinary system.
- Take cranberry juice and supplements that contain it to treat infections .
- Avoid smoking and pollution.
- Eat healthy foods, fresh vegetables and fruits, and avoid prepared, canned, and preserved foods.
- Take anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving medications after consulting your doctor.
- Taking antibiotics used to treat urinary tract infections after seeing the doctor about the results of a urine culture.
- The appropriate type of antibiotic is tested for the patient according to his condition, type, age, health status, and the type of bacteria that you indicated as a result of the urine culture.
- The antibiotic is only used for three days for lower urinary tract infections.
- Antibiotics are used for four weeks if UTI is associated with prostatitis.
- Women are treated with antibiotics for a period of five days to a week to prevent vaginal infections.
- Treatment of children with antibiotics immediately after a urine culture result is for ten days.
- In the case of upper urinary tract infections, the patient complains of severe pain that is difficult to bear and needs to go to the emergency room and hospitalization so that the patient can receive intensive care, intravenous fluids and antibiotics, and after improvement, treatment can be completed at home with an oral antibiotic for at least two weeks.
Therefore, the urine culture is an important medical examination for treating any disorders that affect the urethra and result in bacterial infection and infections, as it works to determine the type of bacteria and then suggests the appropriate treatment to ensure the control of symptoms and the speed of recovery.
Treating urine pus .. The most powerful antibiotic for treatment
Causes of urine color change .. Does it indicate a serious disease?
Urinary incontinence treatment .. Medical and natural methods of treatment for men and women