Swelling of the legs
Is the occurrence of swelling and swelling in the lower legs, ankles and feet, often occurs as a result of accumulation of fluid in these areas what is known as oedema, may be accompanied by swelling in other parts of the body, common places for the occurrence of tension in the body:
- Lower legs or hands.
- Chest: determines the pool of fluid inside the lungs or in the space surrounding them.
The occurrence of swelling (edema) is troublesome and uncomfortable for the patient, as they are considered symptoms of a more serious condition.
Depends swelling of the legs very common and often heals on its own and a lot of reasons, in this article we will the causes and how to cure it.
Symptoms of swelling of legs (edema)
- Happen bulging and swelling in the legs, ankles and feet.
- The skin looks taut and shiny.
- May accompanies swelling occurs:
- In the abdomen causing increase in the size of the abdomen.
- Chest: causing difficulty in breathing.
- Around the eyes.
- Pain in the legs.
Usually the tension builds and after standing or sitting for a long time.
Common causes of swollen legs
- Stand or sit in the same position for a long time, as happens in the case of travel for long periods.
- Eating too much salt in food.
- Increasing the weight.
- Taking certain medications: define edema as a side show to some medicines, including: some medications, stress, birth control pills, antidepressants or steroids.
- Problems in blood vessels: purify the blood vessels of the body and to the heart, but if you don’t operate the valves in the veins well, you won’t be able veins from pumping enough blood to the heart. This can cause swelling in the legs.
- Of deep vein thrombosis :a blood clot blocking a vein Saki, prevents blood return to the and cause swelling of the legs.
- Pregnancy: pregnant women suffer from swelling occurs in the hands, feet and face, and see the physiological changes during pregnancy
- Menstruationmay occur in women swelling in different parts of the body before the menstrual cycle.
- Kidney problems: people who suffer from certain problems in the kidneys that happen to have swelling in the legs and around the eyes.
- Heart failure: is one of the problems with the heart, so that they are not able to the heart from adequately pumping blood, and the Egyptians with heart failure swelling in the legs, abdomen or lungs.
- Liver disease: people can source are certain diseases in the liver asliver failure suffer from swelling in the lower legs and the belly.
- Injury occurs in the foot, leg or ankle as a sprain of the ankle.
- An insect bite.
- Infection and inflammation in the leg.
How to relieve stress
Can the swelling of his own, but there are some things you can try.
- Lie down and use pillows to raise the legs (expansion area), in case you can.
- Try doing some light exercises such as walking, to improve the flow of blood circulation.
- Wearing the shoes are spacious and comfortable, with low heels soles soft.
- Wash, dry and moisturized your feet to avoid infections.
- Do not stand or sit for long periods.
- Do not wear clothes, socks or tight shoes.
When you review your doctor if you have swelling in the legs:
- Not yet processed in the region for several days.
- If the stress grew worse.
You must come to the hospital in the following cases:
- It was an expansion of one of the legs only, and there is no obvious reason not injuries like.
- The swelling is severe, painful or started suddenly.
- The expansion area is red, and the heat when touch.
- You have a high temperature.
- If you are diabetic.
Call an ambulance immediately if
- I felt a shortness of breath or severe difficulty in breathing.
- I felt pain and heaviness in your chest.
It is possible to have a blood clot in your lungs, which need immediate treatment in the hospital.
Treatment of swollen legs (edema)
Considered a sign of swelling of legs (edema) that does not heal on its own the reason, you can buy treatment on one or more of the following:
- Treatment of the medical condition causing.
- Change the diet, so reduce the amount of salt in the food you eat.
- Medications to help the body get rid of excess fluid as the urine.
- Special aspects “to allow aspects of the pressure,” fit, these tights leg and ankle tightly, and can reduce leg swelling.
You don’t need all kinds of stress to the relationship, for example, the expansion that occurs during pregnancy or before the menstrual cycle usually does not require treatment.
- NHS (2018) Swollen ankles, feet and legs, Available at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/oedema/?fbclid=IwAR3SL4AGkCkxLasJWZPbNMzELJ_0V21KgrsitocUvixKl83ut1NK4O5Q2dU (Accessed: 21/12/2019).