The fasting month of Ramadan safely and avoid complications during the fasting period the patient must follow the health plan commitment essentially, we will in this article about how to prepare for the month of Ramadan for patients with diabetes before the advent of the month of Ramadan and the potential complications of fasting.
For the stages of preparation for the fasting continued reading from here.
The aim of this phase is to answer the important question, namely, who are the people who can catch them securely.
Divide the diabetic patients in terms of the possibility of fasting in the month of Ramadan into three sections they are:
Section I: persons who are prohibited from fasting
And this category is under great risk and they have a great possibility of infection complications of fasting in the case of drafting them, so I advise not to fast, the this category:
- Patients with diabetes who were exposed to the type of severe hypoglycemia is frequent during three recent months that precede the month of Ramadan.
- Patients who have a history of injury down blood sugar frequently.
- Patients who do not show symptoms of low sugar when they occur and they can distinguish a bout of low sugar when they occur.
- Patients who cannot control blood sugar within normal limits.
- Patients who had a fever before blood sugar during the three months preceding the month of Ramadan.
- Diabetics of the first type in general unless there is another opinion, your doctor is competent.
- Diabetic patients with other diseases affect the blood sugar levels continuously.
- Of injury coma, falling blood sugar during the last three months.
- Patients who do heavy physical or exercise are intense.
- Diabetic patients with chronic kidney disease and to wash frequently.
Section II: persons at risk of fasting more than others but they can catch them
Can this category of fasting but the proportion of their exposure to the risks of fasting larger than the others, and the main advice for them not to fast, the this category:
- Diabetics who are range sugar have between 150 and 300 mg/dL, or if the results of the stocks of sugar they have between 7.5 to 9 during the recent months.
- Diabetic patients with kidney functions.
- Diabetic patients with complications in the blood vessels.
- People who live alone and have insulin or sulfonylureas.
- Patients ageing.
- People taking medications may affect the degree of awareness.
- People with chronic diseases other.
The third section: people who can catch them without the presence of a significant risk to their health
This category of fasting significantly has been exposed to some risks of a simple or minor but can be controlled by following an elaborate system, this category includes:
- Patients who take insulin short-acting with a good control of sugar.
- People who use birth control pills metformin.
- People who didn’t take drugs yet they still get the option to modify the diet only.
Factors determine our ability to fasting the month of Ramadan
There are many factors that vary from one person to another which plays an important role in determining the extent to which patients with diabetes to fast without any complications and these factors:
- Type diabetes, where people are infected Bdiabetes type i is more prone to complications than those infected with Type II.
- The level of control the levels of sugar in the blood, so that persons who have suffered reductions or elevations in the level of sugar be more at risk.
- The type of treatment used and the extent of his dosage.
- The presence of other chronic diseases.
- Personal factors other such as the nature of the work and other.
What are the complications that may occur with fasting in patients with diabetes
There are 4 complications caused us obsessed during the fasting period, which is the same that may occur outside the time of fasting, but even more serious they occur with fasting these complications are:
The sharp fall in the level of sugar in the blood
Think not to eat the most dangerous factor for the occurrence of the shortage of sugar in the blood, where some studies have shown that the chances of a sharp fall in the sugar when the patients who follow the treatment intensive (stocks of sugar have 7) three times the patients who follow the treatment regime to another.
High blood sugar
Some studies have shown a competent health in the month of Ramadan that the incidence of high blood sugar (which required hospital admission) increased five-fold when patients with Type II diabetes during the month of Ramadan, as showed the same studies that the incidence of high blood sugar in patients with diabetes of the first type has increased by 3-fold, and these results to low doses of medicines due to try to these patients to prevent injury to the transport of sugar, but they fell in the intake of sugars during the period of the breakfast.
The acidity of the blood “DKA”
The risk of diabetic ketoacidosis increases during the fasting period especially in patients with diabetes of the first type, due to excessive reduction in insulin dose while not diminishing the intake of food during the month of Ramadan.
Dehydration and coagulation
One of the complications is the incidence of drought, especially in areas with hot and humid climate, or when the people who work the work is physically arduous, in addition to that diabetes increases the number of times urination, all that increases the chances of drought.
One of the complications associated with drought injury is what is known as clotting in the blood vessels due to an increase in the proportion of coagulation factors of body fluids, where studies find that the chances of obstruction of the retinal vein has increased during the month of Ramadan, but strokes and diseases of the coronary arteries were not affected.
For more on the complications of diabetes continued to read from here.