Vitamin B-12 has a lot of benefits, and an important influence on your DNA, cells your red blood cells, but what happens if you lack vitamin b12? Follow us dear reader for the causes of vitamin b12 deficiency.
What is the allowed amount of vitamin B-12 is?
Vitamin B-12 does a lot of things to your body; it helps in making your DNA and red blood cells, because your body doesn’t make vitamin B-12, you should get it from animal foods or from supplements.
And you must do it regularly, because your body doesn’t store vitamin B-12 for a long time, and depend the amount of vitamin B12 on things like your age and your eating habits and medical conditions and medication, and the average amount recommended, measured in microns grams (mcg) depending on age:
- Children up to the age of 6 months: 0.4 micrograms
- Children from age 7 to 12 months: 0.5 mcg
- Children of age 1-3 years: 0.9 MCG
- Children aged 4-8 years: 1.2 MCG
- Children aged 9-13 years: 1.8 MCG
- Age 14-18: 2.4 mcg (2.6 MCG a day if you are pregnant and 2.8 mcg per day in case you are breastfeeding)
- Adults: 2.4 mcg (2.6 mcg per day in the case of pregnancy and 2.8 micrograms per day if breastfeeding)
Food sources of vitamin B12
You can get vitamin B-12 in animal foods that contain it naturally, or medicines containing vitamin, include animal sources: dairy products, eggs, fish, meat and poultry. If you are looking for food backed by B12, check the label on the product.
Read also: benefits of vitamin B12 or methylcobalamin the integrity of the nerves and general health.
Causes of vitamin b12 deficiency
With age, it may become difficult to absorb vitamin b12, it can also happen if you conducted a surgery for weight loss or other process led to the removal of part of the stomach, or if you drink alcohol heavily, and may be more susceptible to the transport of vitamin B 12 if you have:
You can also get vitamin B12 deficiency if you follow a vegan diet (which means you don’t eat any animal products, including meat, milk, cheese, eggs) or you are a vegetarian don’t eat enough eggs or dairy products,
In order to meet your requirements of vitamin B12 in both cases, you can add fortified foods to your diet or taking supplements to compensate this deficiency.
Read also: what is the relationship between vitamin B12 and famous?
The symptoms resulting from the causes of vitamin b12 deficiency
If you suffer from a deficiency of vitamin B 12, has hunted with anemia, but if the deficiency of vitamin b12 is mild, it may not cause any symptoms, but if not cure this deficiency, this may lead to symptoms such as:
- Weakness, fatigue, or dizziness.
- Heart palpitations and shortness of breath.
- Pale skin.
- Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite.
- Nervous feelings such as numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, problems walking.
- The loss of sight.
- Mental problems such as depression or memory loss or behavioral changes.
Now that you know my dear reader on the causes of vitamin b12 deficiency and the symptoms that will appear if you neglect vitamin deficiencies, if you want to know more or ask one of the doctors, you can consult one of our doctors here.