Watermelon is a fruit summer refreshing and contain a lot of natural sugar, and many think that the watermelon has many benefits for diabetics, as it is important to include patient, diabetes watermelon in his diet, but must not be extravagant in eating. We will discuss in this article the benefits of melon for diabetics and its importance in their diet.
Benefits of watermelon for diabetics
When looking at the effect of diet melon or any other food of diabetics, the glycemic index (GI) which is an important indicator of how to measure blood sugar levels.
- GI is a measure of the speed with which he enters the sugar from food into the bloodstream, the more it happened the faster, the greater the likelihood of injury to a person’s increase in blood sugar.
- Allocates the system of the GI for each food a score of between 1 and 100, the higher the number, the faster the entry of sugar into the bloodstream.
- Watermelon has an index of about 76, so that any item of food contains index (GI) of 70 to the top of the believe that the food item has a high index, so you can eat watermelon, but you have freedom and when to eat it and not wasteful, but before that make it an essential element in the meal you consult your doctor to tell you its importance to your situation.
- In addition, should people with diabetes try to eat watermelon along with foods rich with healthy fats andfiber and protein, such as nuts and seeds. This combination of nutrients can help people feel full longer, and reduces the impact of watermelon on blood sugar levels.
Read also: healthy diet for diabetics.
Other benefits of melons
Benefits of watermelon for diabetes lies in the fact that watermelon is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals, including:
Watermelon also contains vitamin Aand helps vitamin A to maintain the function of the heart , kidneys, lungs, also supports eye health. Advises the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) that a single piece of watermelon weighing about 286 the beauty of the 80 is the equivalent of the activity of retinol (RAE), a measure of consumption of vitamin A.
Advises the Office of dietary supplements (ODS) that men who are over the age of 14 years must address is 900 RAE, and that women should take 700 RAE of vitamin A, this means that one piece of watermelon can contribute more than 10% of the vitamin A recommended daily per person.
Watermelon contains vitamin C, an antioxidant that enhance immune system health, and immune system strength that reduces the incidence of diseases and infections, and may help prevent certain types of cancer.
Advises ODS also that consumes men’s 105.2 milligrams per day (mg / day) of vitamin C, and up to 83.6 mg / day. Provide a piece of watermelon 23.2 mg of vitamin C, which means that they provide about 30.7% of the amount of vitamin C recommended daily for women and 25.6% of the recommended for men.
The benefits of fruits in general for patients with diabetes
- The benefits of melon for diabetes not all of it, but the fruits are often high in fiber, so that a high-fiber diet supports digestive function, helps the body get rid of toxins.
- Help high-fiber foods also a person a feeling of satiety which makes it a great choice for people who suffer from diabetes, given that the proper control in your daily meal and system your food helps in regulating blood sugar levels.
- The fruit contains also the amino acid a non-essential called citrulline, which helps in improving the blood pressure and the health of the metabolism.
Read also: fruit useful for diabetic patients.
In the end, dear reader, after that we know the benefits of melon for diabetes .. make sure it is within your meal, but after consulting your doctor, and if you have any queries, you can consult one of our doctors here.